Director Job Description
We are seeking to hire a qualified Director to lead the start-up and direction, supervision and management of the day-to-day operations of the St. John the Divine Early Learning Center establishing and sustaining a safe, positive and Christian learning environment for children. The Director will develop and oversee the coordination of quality education programs that comply with local and federal regulations; ensure that facilities are maintained; hire, train, develop, manage and support a complement of staff, and manage the center's financial affairs. The Director will ensure all licensing and/or accreditation standards are secured and maintained and will provide children and families quality care in a safe environment that is conducive to learning.
The successful applicant will have demonstrable experience in managing all aspects of an Early Learning Center (ELC), as well as strong leadership skills. Successful applicants must display a friendly demeanor, have a love for children, and strive to create a supportive and encouraging environment for both children and teachers.
- Responsible for all startup activities including licensing, budget preparation, curriculum development, equipment/supplies procurement, staff hiring, and student recruitment/enrollment.
- Obtain and maintain all permits, licensing, and approvals requirements for the ELC, ensuring on-going compliance and reporting.
- Provide leadership and direction to all ELC staff.
- Recruit, screen, hire, train, manage, schedule, develop, and evaluate staff ensuring all policies, licensing, regulatory and legal requirements are met.
- Develop, sustain, and evaluate research-based, evidence-informed programming that will promote the growth and development of children, in compliance with state and federal requirements.
- Establish ELC policies/procedures and effectively communicate them to staff and parents.
- Ensure facilities are maintained to ensure a clean and safe environment in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Complete ongoing training and courses to remain up to date on daycare standards and procedures.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of a marketing and communication plan to meet enrollment goals; conduct program tours and periodic open house/registration events.
- Recruit, screen and evaluate children.
- Manage and monitor the budget and accounts in a fiscally responsible manner, ensuring that the center adheres to budget and is profitable. Make recommendations to the Board of Directors regarding control and utilization of physical and financial resources.
- Work with the ELC Board of Directors in preparing an annual budget for the ELC to be approved by the Board of Directors and the SJTD Parish Council.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and operation of the ELC and communicate evaluation outcomes to the Board of Directors; maintain accurate and complete records.
- Establish, manage and monitor educational goals, financial goals, along with operations goals including human resources, quality assurance, and facility operations.
- Plan and develop strategies to attain short and long-term goals, including future accreditation, in conjunction with the ELC Board of Directors.
- Ensure a safe, happy, and stimulating environment for children.
- Represent the ELC in a positive, professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Develop strong relationships with student families and faculty; plan and conduct family engagement plan.
- Respond to all parent and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner, seeking input from staff as needed; maintains open, consistent and effective communication with parents.
- Commit to learn about the St. John the Divine Greek Orthodox Church and Orthodox faith.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of child care center operations
- Passion for the care, safety and development of children
- Ability to effectively lead, engage, motivate and train staff to high levels of commitment and performance
- Practical knowledge of behavior modification models, classroom management models, counseling modalities and related techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of licensing, governmental and educational requirements for Early Learning Centers
- Strong communication, public relations, collaboration, computer, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and time-management skills
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and direct a variety of activities
- Possess good judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage budgets
- Ability to work independently and perform with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to think quickly and clearly, and remain calm during stressful times
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Service oriented
- Friendly and approachable demeanor
- Maintain a professional appearance, attitude, and work ethic at all times
- Displays a high level of integrity, dependability and adaptability
Organizational Relationship: Center Director reports to the St. John the Divine (SJTD) Board of Directors and Parish Priest
Educational and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood or related field required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Director Credential required
- Minimum 5 years prior experience in Early Childhood Education & Development program management and instruction, preferably in a Christian based environment
- Minimum 2 years experience of relevant management experience as a center director or assistant director
- Center start-up experience is beneficial
Licenses & Certifications:
- National CDA required
- VPK Director Endorsement
- Must possess and maintain a Valid Florida Driver’s License
- Current First Aid & CPR Certifications
- Department of Children and Families (DCF) 45 hour requirement
- Complete 35 hours of in-service training each DCF year (July – June)
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Acceptable eyesight and hearing, with or without correction
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Works in a childcare setting
- Frequent interruptions associated with work
- May deal with upset parents, students or staff
- May sit or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling
- Prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
Apply Online Now
St. John the Divine is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, gender, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or local laws.